Pages

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Perfect Pregnant Bellies

[contents: body image, fat hate, racism, ableism, trans hate]

So when I say the words "perfect pregnant belly", what do you think of?

Is it something like this?

Chances are, it is. The epitome of "perfect pregnant belly" belongs to a white woman, relatively small-framed, who looks like she has a basketball for a belly. It has smooth, firm skin, no stretch marks in sight, certainly no extra fat anywhere to be seen. And that's what's in that picture.

When you google "perfect pregnant belly", images like that one are an AWFUL lot of what comes up. There's more variety than I was expecting - some people showing their C-section scars, some with stretch marks, some with henna. I had to scroll some to find someone with dark skin though, and there was only one. All the rest were light skinned. 90% or thereabouts were headless pictures.

What I didn't see were any pregnant bellies that looked like mine.

Sure, I'm a (very pale-skinned, although it's funny how not being "how are you alive" anemic has changed that) white woman. So I saw lots of skin tones like mine, which is typical for media. White and light-skinned folks are way, way over-represented, thanks racism. But I didn't see any fat pregnant bellies in that search. I didn't see any bellies on people who have big thighs like me, and arm fat that hangs below their triceps like me, who had stretch marks on their bellies and breasts long before they were pregnant, like me.

I didn't see any pictures of people who have dark body hair on their arms and legs and lower abdomens like me. I didn't see any pictures of people whose breasts were never "perky" or "firm", but pretty much always looked like a cantaloupe in a sock, like me. I didn't see pictures of pregnant bellies on people who have what their mothers call, not unkindly, "junk in the trunk" like me, with dimpled flesh and back fat and jiggliness all over, like me.

And that's just like me. There's way more things that aren't represented in that "perfect pregnant belly" imagery we get.

That's deliberate.

People will try to tell you that the kind of bodies you see most often represented aren't the result of deliberate choice, that it's all just "how these things work" and nobody is really at fault and it just happens, like the world is a fucking vacuum and culture has no influence on this sort of thing. They're full of shit. The fact that "perfect" is attached to thin white cis able-bodied people with no visible "flaws" is not an accident. It's not an accident in modeling, it's not an accident on tv, it's not an accident in pregnancy. It's not an accident ANYWHERE.

Racism is not an accident. Fat hate is not an accident. Trans hate is not an accident. Ableism is not an accident. What society tells you is "perfect" is not a fucking accident.

And fuck all of that.

Because you know what? My fat pregnant belly IS perfect. It's MINE. There's A FETUS GROWING IN THERE. All of a sudden two weeks ago I saw myself in profile in the mirror and went HOLY SHIT, I LOOK PREGNANT. This is a very wanted pregnancy for me, and that was EXCITING. No, I don't have that "smuggling a basketball look", and I almost certainly never will. But what I DO have, is MY pregnant belly. And MY pregnant belly is fucking perfect.






You know what? If you are pregnant and want to be, and you have a pregnant belly? YOUR PREGNANT BELLY IS PERFECT TOO.

No comments:

Post a Comment