Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

This is getting really old

[Contents: food, food aversions, vomit]

So this is what is getting really old, and had me nearly crying at the dinner table tonight THANKS HORMONES:

Food aversions.

Yeah, they're a common pregnancy side effect, and most sources will tell you oh, they go away after the first trimester. This is not true for everyone, and it is not true for me.

Here is a list of foods I normally eat, and usually like anywhere from quite fine to PLEASE PUT THIS IN MY FACE, that I have not been able to stand during pregnancy:

  • Cooked pork. I don't eat bacon, ham, or any of their exotic cousins anyway, because those nauseate the hell out of me, even to smell them. Eating them has lead to vomiting. But other pork products, such as ribs or pork chops or even pork roast, I am usually fine with. No. Not during pregnancy. None of those are okay. Sausage, however, in pretty much any form, remains fine.
  • Chili. I make really good beef chili. Even thinking about it right now makes me a little queasy. The day I cooked it for The Man, that was a bad, bad day, because it takes hourrrsssss to cook.
  • Tortilla Soup. Tortilla soup is one of my favorite soups. It's spicy and salty and you put cheese in it and it's amazing. NOPE. Made it a month ago and could not even bring myself to take a bite.
  • Taco Casserole. Also one of my favorites, it's a pretty easy dinner to throw together and we can usually kill an entire batch of it in two days. Oh god, I need to end this list soon, thinking about all of this shit is not doing me any favors. Anyway, this is also spices + tomatoes + meat.
  • Barbequed... anything. I had some barbecued ribs at Christmas (why yes, one of the traditional Christmas meats in our family is ribs), and normally I love them, and they were okay... but not the best and I had to not eat a lot. And barbequed, say, chicken right now? NOPE.
Now see, I would think there's a theme of sorts here - spicy tomato-and-meat-based dishes, but NOPE. Because here are things that have been fucking delicious:
  • Curry. IN ANY FORM. Lamb curry, chicken makhani, dal, lamb bhuna, PLEASE GIVE ME ALL OF THE CURRIES. All of my favorite curries are heavily tomato-based, and I tend to like at least a "medium" level of spiciness. Fucking delicious, and if I had more garlic naan, I'd warm up some of the chicken makhani I made Friday and eat it right now.
  • Tacos. REGULAR TACOS ARE JUST FINE. They are delicious in fact! I have made them a bazillion times because they consistently sound good! Granted, there's no tomatoes in them, but it's clearly not just taco spices that are my problem.
  • Fajitas. PLEASE PUT MORE FAJITAS IN MY FACE THEY'RE DELICIOUS. These also involve chili powder and many of the same spices that are in my chili, so I don't know what the deal is.
  • Beans and rice. The black beans from my favorite local Tex-Mex restaurant? INVOLVE PORK STOCK. The rice? has all sorts of veg matter in there, including I think tomatoes. Could eat these every motherfucking day.
  • Pasta bake. Oh my maude, give me some like, baked ziti with a good tomato sauce and some Italian sausage mixed in and cheese melted on top. Have made this eight thousand times too because it tastes good.
  • Chicken parm subs. Clearly my problem is not meat + tomato sauce.
  • Roast chicken. We had to punt a week ago Sunday on dinner, because we ordered chicken parm sandwiches and the site had fucked up and the place where we get them was closed, so The Man ducked in to the Whole Foods across the street and got one of their roasted chickens and some mashed potatoes. Oh my fucking god, so good. When I roast a chicken at home, I do not bother doing it any other way than with two lemons [warning: diet talk at that link, but the recipe is 100% worth your time if you do meat].
  • Buffalo wings. I had some two weeks ago after baby-havin' class and it was the best party in my mouth that week.
  • Fried chicken. yesssssss
  • Potatoes. Preferably fried or mashed. All the potatoes. Allll of them.
Then we get to tonight.

I had some potatoes on hand, so last night I took out a chicken breast and threw it in some lemon garlic marinade. Tonight's dinner was said chicken breast, roasted, mashed potatoes, and some corn. Now, I chose this marinade because the other ones I have on hand are more barbeque-flavored in profile and since they're not Open Pit-flavored, they're suspect. But I like the garlic-lemon-herb whatever the fuck this is! So I picked it!

Chicken smells just fine as it's cooking. I get everything to the table, including mashed potatoes with a truly ridiculous amount of butter in them, cut a piece of chicken, take a bite... and nope. Nope! And I'm like, really? Because I know I need the protein, and I know I like chicken, and this should be fine, so I take another bite and NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Can someone please explain to me in what motherfucking goddamn way that this all makes sense. BECAUSE THIS MAKES NO SENSE. THERE IS NO LINKING FACTOR IN ANYTHING I HAVE SEEN AS TO WHAT IS GOOD AND WHAT IS BAD RIGHT NOW. NONE.

THIS IS BULLSHIT AND I AM SICK OF IT AND IT HAD BETTER GO AWAY AFTER I HAVE THIS KID.

And that is why hormones were leaking down my face at the dinner table tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment